SWIM SWIM SWIM
"...Right now, I'm drawn to Hass. I recently realized that he's great at being fast and slow at the same time. In the midst of meditation, in the act of dwelling, he'll have these tangential bursts, brief forays into areas related to the poem but not essential to it. I've been interested lately in how people rest on a topic or don't."
from an interview with Bob Hicok in Smartish Pace
something to think about in the future, i think.
six mfa applications in, four to go. trying to keep my head above water with my massive berryman essay, and failing, mostly because i spend all damn day reading poetry journals. just back from scotland visiting the boy, and it's a little more discouraging to wake up in the morning, now. is it christmas yet? because i want a freaking pony. at least my writing is going a bit better than this fall.
i'm sorry, i'm a sourpuss today. so let's end on this great note from hicok:
"I love writing, desk time. But I like to work anyway. The surprise of it is addictive. Never knowing if it will work, and if it does, what will show up. We are most thoroughly addicted by intermittent and unpredictable reward. Gamble enough, and you'll win some of the time. This convinces you that every next time could always be a win. Writing's like that."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment